Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'll be your Huckleberry!


Tuesday evening I attended Clinton County Reads for the kickoff of the community reading Huckleberry Finn together. It was entertaining, enlightening and heartwarming. A great mix of people from the county and more than a few of our students. I met a few co-worker friends for dinner at Jen's Deli beforehand. I had a yummy chicken sunflower sandwich and a milky way cappucino. Yum. 

A college professor led the talk and she was charming. She talked about Concord Public Library trying to censor the book way back when. Louisa May Alcott actually said that Jo March would not be allowed to play with Huck Finn. She also mentioned the Tombstone movie quote, I'll be your Huckleberry. Which basically means, I got your back. I found myself a little nervous to speak out in such a group until our 'kids' starting piping in so I followed suit. What a beautifully insightful night. 

I have to head off to bed but one last thought...
I love, love, love this outfit. A teenage boy in the deli told me his girlfriend liked my outfit. I walked over and showed her the coin pockets. The professor's very handsome husband wearing a green bill cap in honor of St. Patrick's day and his Irish heritage said I looked much too stylish for a librarian. (I mentioned that in the discussion.) I dutifully showed him my hair in a bun.  

No comments: