Sunday, April 3, 2011

Peeping toms and bunnies

Thursday evening at our staff and friends book club we had a peeping tom...

We discussed My Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion and Making Toast by Rosenblatt. My choices, and I took some ribbing for it but hey I don't go for the fluffy pink chic lit, well except on the beach or when I'm tired of vampires and werewolves. When we were deciding our list for the year I mentioned My Year and asked if anyone else had read it. They had and I said how much I appreciated the writing but I felt it might not jive with our group. They disagree so we added it to the list and threw in the lighter Making Toast for those who didn't want to tackle Didion. For as much as people came up to me during the month and said, "I yi yi whose choice was this... oh it was yours!?!?" we had a wonderful discussion about it and it was one of our best discussions yet. Tears all around. One member countered, "But isn't that why we are in book club? To force us to read books we aren't comfortable with?" Then she went on to talk about what the club means to her. I sat back and took it all in because THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL. During the evening I realized one of our members is a widow. I had forgotten since I've only known her single. I immediately started worrying about her being offended or uncomfortable about our discussing a woman being widowed. Then finally she spoke and we shed tears and she made sense of our discussion. 

Today was spent with the studio door open, me at my desk and Marina going in and outside happily barking at squirrels, bicyclists and leftover leaves. Hubs too Bubs to the continuation of yesterday's hunting class.

Again Spring may be here but in Ohio it is still chilly. It gave me occasion to wear this Lacoste jacket I picked up a few weeks ago at Snooty Fox and these Hot Tomato wedges from St. Vincent, toes covered.
And this bunny sweater and Outback Red cardigan...
I've had this Michael Simon sweater for years and I soften it a bit for school. This year however a colleague asked why I had a bunny peeking out from my bosom. Hmm. Well maybe I should layer it again. 
Finally saw the Royal Tenenbaums movie yesterday. I love a quirky movie.

I thrifted yesterday and picked up a few items...


Harajuku Orange County bag

The Goodwill had marked down the Coach Weston Tote from $100. to $25 so I picked that up as well as a Coach belt for $3. 
 The infamous Spade book that I still can't believe I stumbled upon. I now have knowledge of two other books in the series so more hunts are on. A James Beard Cookbook because well I rearranged my vast cookbook collection last week and there was a place for it. Several hand knit scarves, a hand quilted heart place mat, Wednesday jacket, spoon pattern tote, J. Crew dress shirt for Hubs, Bengals shirt for me.
  August Silk red sparkly long cardigan, black sparkle bag that houses my iPad perfectly, a swim skirt, and lounge pants.
Then at the consignment store a pair of Odille pants and a glass refrigerator jar.

I need to blog more. Scribbled notes on spare sheets of paper get lost. Today I found some mentioning how the silence in the evening laying in bed made me aware of the ringing in my ears from the extremely long day I had. Dogs barked but other than that it was deafeningly silent. Reminding myself to not always have the tele on or the radio blasting or the computer playing podcasts. 

Reading~
Skinny B. Have I told you I'm reading this yet? It is a hilarious kick in the butt. Seriously these girls are funny and honest. No holds barred would fit the bill here. One of the girls I eat lunch with said her sister knows this chic and she is every bit as fierce as she sounds. 
Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual by Michael Pollan. I'm reading this aloud to the boys in the car. Captive audience. 
Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet- Ford
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice- Hoose
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- Twain
The City of Bones- Clare

(I'm loosing weight. Down 6 lbs. from the start of the year.)

1 comment:

Stephenie Eriksson said...

I'm commenting from my iPad :P So sorry I missed book club sounds like it was the kind of meeting that makes book club mean so much to all of us. And hey... If you like the Royal Tennenbaums then you will like The Catcher in the Rye and other books by Salinger. Wes Anderson is very Salingeresque. I always feel like I am watching a Salinger book. Have you seen the Darjeeling Limited. If you like quirky, then you would like that too. Hope I see you at work tomorrow. I have a sick kid again. Ugh!