Sunday, June 28, 2015

Friends who help my being

The boys got home about 9 last night from a week long fishing tournament trip to Lake St Clair Michigan, unloaded soaked fishing gear, ate, went to bed and left at 5 this morning for Harbor's last Youth Bass Tournament of the year. Hoping to qualify for state. Yesterday I met some friends down at the Oakley Fancy Flea and then ran into some friends I haven't seen in forever. Their grandkids and Harbor played when they were young. Now all the kids are taller than us. Talking with them I am struck with gratitude once again that Harbor and John share this love of fishing. They have spent Harbor's life traveling and fishing the next spot, the next tournament. They watch fishing shows together, swamp fishing magazines, read aloud online fishing reports, shop online and travel to stores to scope out that special piece of equipment. What a rare blessing to stay so close during a time that could be so turbulent. And all the adult friends who have mentored Harbor along the way, these men have always treated Harbor as an equal and he has stepped up to that position. He is comfortable with adults, soaks in advice and loves a good story. They have told him the some of the same things we have but yet they hold more weight I think. Just counting my blessings this morning before I head out to another weigh in and cookout. Glad I get to go along for the ride....

Art and Joan.
At the Oakley Flea a guy ran up to me and said' you walked right by us'. It took me a minute but I recognized some church friends from the past. I loved these 2. We went to church with them, went to cookouts at their house, and just fellowshipped with them years ago. Churches ago.  We talked about the kids and grandkids, what we are doing these days and finally came around to church. We go in Blan they no longer go. These were major church workers.  They have the same complaint I've heard over and over again. They were overworked. People wouldn't stand around to talk, they rushed off. No one cared. Everyone is so busy. The music was boring, the messages not relevant, the church body kept shrinking. It felt like they were dying. People the church is struggling. It is possible to know Christ and not go to church but it is hard. We crave the fellowship of a body of believers. We talked for about an hour and I remembered why I loved these guys so much. They are so honest, transparent and funny! We had dinner not too long ago with another friend from the past and leaving that night I thought the same thing. The friends I went to the Oakley Flea to meet. These people get it. They are living life true and honest and they aren't afraid to tell you how they really feel. I want to strive to be that kinda gal. There is no drama with these people, no ulterior motives- they help my being.  They talk about real things, things that matter, not people. What a blessing to know such people and to call them my friends.

Also at the Flea I met Mallory, the wife of a former student. She is a designer. What a great gal. A delight in person as well as online. I stopped in a unique coffee house for a honey latte afterward and headed to Fusion sushi. I could eat here everyday. Loved it! Raw tuna seaweed roll with asparagus, cream cheese, avocado, carrot and cucumber, spicy mayo and sweet soy with a tempura topping. And edamame. Delish!

I stopped in the Montgomery Goodwill boutique and Kroger then headed home. A great day. Mainly spent alone and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I worked on downsizing and organizing my closet for the last week and geesh do I have alot of clothing. Didn't downsize much since I love my clothes but I organized and am continuing to work through wearing everything I own. It may take another year.

Last weekend John, Harbor and I went to a wedding and the boys left afterwards from there to go to Lake St Clair. That left me needing a ride. Jeremy and Mike were DJing so I rode with them. It's nice to know I've got friends who've got my back. Mike had my favorite drink made and kept delivering them to me, Jeremy kept coming over to chat. I love these 2. They are good guys. We talked real talk on the way home and I am reminded they need us. John and I need to step up and reconnect with these guys. They and their families need to see us, hear from us, laugh with us.

There is a new era coming for the Lovins. John will not be coaching football this fall. He's taking time off to focus on Harbor's fishing. I wondered many years ago what it must be like to go home on a Friday evening in the autumn and stay there. I've cheered every Friday night through high school and then attended as a coach's wife for decades. I've slacked off in the last few years. Not traveled to some away games, skipped if it was raining or snowing. But all in all Fall means high school football Friday nights and now it could mean anything else. Oh who am I kidding I'll probably curl up on the couch with a good book!

This whole gay marriage thing is crazy. Interesting the people I talk to in person, those I spend my time with, seem to agree with me. It is what it is. People have a right to choose. Not everyone is like you and you don't get to define God for them.  Facebook however is a different story. Hate and disappointment is flowing from the conservatives. I'm working out how I feel about this.  

No comments: