Friday, October 23, 2015

Still didn't facebook it

I almost posted this Tuesday and then I didn't because sometimes I feel my FB posts sound like I'm bragging. I'm not. So if you read my posts and poo poo me then just unfriend me- no hard feelings. I'm longwinded and thoughtful and I like to throw it out to the world hoping it lands on 'friends' ears. I do know that I am incredibly blessed to work in a profession that is my heartbeat, my ministry, and my passion. We connect with great people- adults and students- everyday. I get to recommend books to them, I get to help them along their way and they help me along mine. I laugh every day at WORK. Everyday. I smile. I am reaffirmed that I am in the right place at the right time. It's rough and discouraging at times, it is, but I am incredibly blessed to live out this life here doing this job with these wonderful people.
So anywho.... Tuesday one of my seniors came in after my announcements and said, I need you. We walked over to the library and she launched into the- I don't know what I should do with my life, how can you expect me to choose what I want to do for the rest of my life, this is too stressful, tell me what to do. Of course I didn't tell her. We talked. I helped her see some options and coping strategies. Mr. Lovin walked in. We went through it all again. Another parent came in. We tried it out on him. I told her to talk to people. See what they say. Consult people in that field and ask how this works in their world. Then she said, OK I'm going to see Mrs. Eriksson. I know you two will be honest with me because you care about me......
Job done. I had to stop myself from tackling her and crying because job done.
I know I could insert many of my coworkers names into a story where a kid connects with a teacher who they know cares. That, my friend, is why I love being a Blanchester Wildcat. It doesn't happen everywhere. Not every school has the support from bosses who care as much about the whole student as the curriculum. One does not thrive without the other.

No comments: