Wednesday, September 28, 2011

In Book Retailing, Neatness Doesn't Count

In Book Retailing, Neatness Doesn't Count

I love this quote..."Some people don't like too much order in bookshops and want to feel like they're finding something. You can have 300,000 books perfectly arranged on the shelf, and every time, people will walk in and want to look at the books stacked up on the floor. So if you really want to sell something, jumble it up and pitch it on the floor."--Larry McMurtry, author and owner of Booked Up, Archer City, Tex., in "How to Run a Bookstore" inBloomberg BusinessWeek.

And I have found it to be true. 5000 books in a library organized by Dewey Decimal code and almost without fail each student peruser walks straight to the reshelve cart first.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do that in clothing stores! I will dig through a bin of clearance all piled together before I will walk over & view the things on the clearance rack! Weird isn't it?

DaShannon said...

Libraries, bookstores, clothing stores, antiques... I think it is the thrill of finding the diamond in the rough!