Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Spring Break 2016

The Bunch clan met at mom's at 3 and left at 3:45 headed on the spring break 2016 trip. Because mom packed up sack lunches to eat on the way, we waited until Lexington, Ky for Starbucks (Cherry Blossom Frap). She had pimento cheese and turkey croissants, cheese sticks and a drink for each of us. I alway preplan how I'm going to spend the commute catching up on stuff. Reading magazines, scrolling social media etc. I forget how much everyone talks and how little I'm going to get done. It's all good though.

Taking the first Williamsburg, Ky exit we pulled into the Teagues at about 7. Dennis was in the kitchen making grilled cheese to go with the deer chili, bread and butter pickles, and corn chips. So nice to sit and talk about politics, education, RETIREMENT,  and relatives. It has become our annual stop on the way to spring break in Florida.

Dad has already started his trivia stories and advice.
Well that's life.
That's how the cookie crumbles.

After falling asleep several times in the car we made it to Asheville, NC Red Roof Inn exit 44 by 11pm to check in. Great room. We stay here a lot on the way to Hilton Head or Florida.

Saturday morning we had a slow start. Dad gave up on us and walked to get breakfast sandwiches from Hardees and Dunkin Donuts. After we all got our act together, and dad set off the alarm, we headed to Krispy Kreme for a hot and ready doughnut. I have been waiting to return to the Double D Coffee and Desserts bus since my first visit in the summer. I knew dad would think it was cool and he did. We posed for pictures just like he wanted and he even talked another family into posing for the same picture.
Just down the street is the Mast General Store where I gave dad a tad of cologne then turned around to shop. When I looked back he had the whole bottle putting it behind his ears.... I did buy a mini mason jar oil lamp that is adorable. I found John a pair of Einstein socks for his little gift at another cute store Blue Ridge Interactive- Pura Vida Gallery.
From there we drove to The Herbiary. I saw it on a map I picked up at the hotel. LOVE. I bought sinus smelling salts, Vitamin E oil, Tummy Tea, Serenity aromatherapy mist, a burning sage bundle, and a large roller bottle. Love this place.
We went to the Lobster Trap to eat lunch but it was closed so we walked down to Farm Burger but the line was crazy so we walked around the corner and found The Rhu a cafe. I had an open faced pork collar sandwich and a Hearty Greens Panzanella with pickled red onions, dates, and tomatoes salad and tasted everyone else's food too. I had a blueberry basil soda. Mom and dad ordered a rabbit rillette.
We walked to the Battery Park Champagne Bar for cocktails- I had the Jane Austen- then the Grove Arcade for Serenity Scott, Bathe- a new favorite, coffee and such.
I walked past Bathe and tested their sample then went to the restroom and got a coffee. After my hands were still smelling so great I went back to Bathe and asked questions. Cool place where you choose your scents and type of lotion and then mix it. How very cool. A, D,E lotion with Tobacco vanilla and lime grass cypress.
We made a quick run into Urban Outfitters where I picked up some Hair Beach Wave thai coconut spray, Tru Fragrance roll on oil, and a flamingo bag. Cuteness.

We left Asheville about 4 and tried to not make many stops on the way to Florida. Of course we hit a Starbucks somewhere along the way. I got a peach green tea. We listened to Yo's playlist and then some The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell but mostly just music.

We made it to Atlantic Cove about midnight and unpacked. I sat out the Illume Plumeria Jasmine citronella outdoor candle. We crashed.

Sunday morning Yo and dad got up early to go to Orlando to see Abby, Veronica's daughter, play volleyball. Yo worked with Veronica for years in Florida and they try to see each other when we come to town. Mom and I unpacked everything and got situated then I caught up my journaling!
It took until 11:00 to see dolphins.. ha! Reading on the beach, met up with Georgette and read and talked. Mom and I ordered sushi and chinese delivered from Pacific- it was just ok. I got a Tropical roll and an Out of Control roll both just ok. They were covered in caviar and that was super good.

Listened to:
Brene Brown talk about empathy and compassion and boundaries. Be genuine and generous. Believe people are doing the best they can. Good stuff.
Eliminate a Town and Country magazine and a Real Simple magazine and some Asheville brochures.

No comments: