Mindset- I've joined an online book discussion and I wanted to save my thoughts...
Hi there! I'm late to the game. I'm DaShannon Lovin, librarian at Blanchester High School. I work with Stephenie Eriksson, English teacher at BHS, also in this group. I've taken some OWP classes and really enjoyed the experience. I have a son who is a junior and my husband teaches math here at the high school. Chris, The Nightingale is one of our reads for our Staff and Friends Book Club so I hope its a good one! Katie, Boys in the Boat is also on our list. Taylor, Fannie Flagg's Daisy Faye and the Miracle Man is my favorite book of all time. Actually it is hard not to comment on what everyone has read but I need to just stop :) I'm reading Brave New World for a student book club that meets Friday and I just finished The Bell Jar for a classics club. Club meetings keep me on track reading about a book a week to discuss. I've just started Mindset and I'm loving it.
I am definitely the growth mindset with purposeful engagement. I've always been a good student with a passion for learning but I've never felt 'gifted' so I work really hard to improve. I'm goal setter and a list maker always trying to simplify or streamline a process.
The idea that depending on the situation I might be more fixed than growth mindset is intriguing. Reading the book on my own I wouldn't think so but after listening to the discussion I can see that. Math- I feel like I just wasn't born with it, reached my (low) potential early and now I'm thankful my life and job allow me to use a calculator and ask my math guys for help. But if I practiced might it change? Maybe I just don't like it therefore I'm not interested in growing.
The idea that fixed mindsets are supersensitive and worry about what others judge us to be, well, I feel that but I still just don't feel like I've ever been in the fixed mindset. Growing up feeling like I came from undereducated parents who were from the hills of Kentucky I was afraid of people judging me so I kept quiet and tried to fake my way until I could catch up to where I thought others were. But I always felt like I could improve, that I would overcome what my background had provided. I don't know that I considered genetics or a fixed IQ.
Teaching in high school now I find it interesting that our students have been grouped and labeled coming up in elementary school but then we give them more choices when they get here. If they can get the grade we will allow them to move into honors classes. They can enroll in dual credit or College Credit Plus as long as they take a placement test. More students see college as a possibility.
It's funny how our personal experiences come to mind when we are trying to decide what we want to 'buy' that this author is 'selling'. When I moved back to Ohio, for some reason, this school had a much older teacher population. Smart, funny, savvy and experienced, I found them very intimidating. I go used to being made fun of (in a good way) or taking advice on my teaching, speaking and writing. I learned very quickly that they weren't judging me. We were just doing life together. These people became my life long friends. I became much more open to just putting myself out there, making mistakes and admitting upfront when I had no idea what was going on. It has made me a much better person.
I remember being placed in the advanced readers group in the 3rd grade. I know there was a label (color/animal) but, whatever, you knew which group/level you were anyway. Kids would be moved 'up' or 'down'. From then on I knew I was expected to be above average in school so I strived to prove that. I also think have a sister 3 years ahead of me in school and the fact that she hated school and struggled to fit in from day 1 played into my thinking and my parents thinking about what = success in school. My sister is now a very successful special ed teacher who makes a ridiculous difference in the lives of her students struggling through school.
Now, as a mother, I find it interesting that my son's intellect has been measured more by how well he performs on tests. From early on his teachers, administrators, and, admittedly, his parents have openly talked about how well he performs in front of him. And about the expectation of getting the scores that will = $$ for college and/or recognition for his schools. This is a toughy to read and sort out. I want him to live up to or perform according to his potential yet the pressure has increased with the stakes and I'm uncomfortable with that. I've always told him he was born with abilities and talents the rest of us don't have (fixed) and that he should use those gifts wisely and strive to do his best (growth). But haven't I really said that his mindset is fixed then? Huh. Confusing.
I think as an individual I would like to think that not tracking would work and allow everyone to grow and achieve at their own pace and ability level. But as an educator and a parent I don't think I believe that works best for all kids. Being able to tailor my lesson and the pacing of my lesson works best if like students are grouped together. Again I'm loving the book contents and the discussion boards making me think about these things!
This whole idea that IQ is not fixed but able to grow? Mind blowing. I need to find studies that prove or disprove that. Maybe my idea of what the IQ test tests is just wrong. As far as I know I've never taken it nor has my son. My son has been labeled gifted (not bragging, not even humble bragging just trying to raise a question). School and information in general comes easy to him. I've often wondered if taking the IQ test would be beneficial. What if he tested high? Would he aspire to prove worthy of the number? What if he tested average after being told his 17 years how above average he is? I really thought about this last year as he was faced with the ACT test. Again what if he tested average on a test that = $ for college. My husband and I talked about our scores. I had no idea what my ACT score was (it's a number and I'm not 'good' at those) my husband knew exactly how he scored 20 years ago. So we looked them up.... mine was not great, his was average. I was shocked! I really thought I had done better. Maybe I thought that because I had bought in to what I thought that score meant. Changed my expectations for my son. And sadly my view of myself. Really? After 20 years and numerous degrees I still let those scores and labels define me? Yep.
Hi there! I'm late to the game. I'm DaShannon Lovin, librarian at Blanchester High School. I work with Stephenie Eriksson, English teacher at BHS, also in this group. I've taken some OWP classes and really enjoyed the experience. I have a son who is a junior and my husband teaches math here at the high school. Chris, The Nightingale is one of our reads for our Staff and Friends Book Club so I hope its a good one! Katie, Boys in the Boat is also on our list. Taylor, Fannie Flagg's Daisy Faye and the Miracle Man is my favorite book of all time. Actually it is hard not to comment on what everyone has read but I need to just stop :) I'm reading Brave New World for a student book club that meets Friday and I just finished The Bell Jar for a classics club. Club meetings keep me on track reading about a book a week to discuss. I've just started Mindset and I'm loving it.
I am definitely the growth mindset with purposeful engagement. I've always been a good student with a passion for learning but I've never felt 'gifted' so I work really hard to improve. I'm goal setter and a list maker always trying to simplify or streamline a process.
The idea that depending on the situation I might be more fixed than growth mindset is intriguing. Reading the book on my own I wouldn't think so but after listening to the discussion I can see that. Math- I feel like I just wasn't born with it, reached my (low) potential early and now I'm thankful my life and job allow me to use a calculator and ask my math guys for help. But if I practiced might it change? Maybe I just don't like it therefore I'm not interested in growing.
The idea that fixed mindsets are supersensitive and worry about what others judge us to be, well, I feel that but I still just don't feel like I've ever been in the fixed mindset. Growing up feeling like I came from undereducated parents who were from the hills of Kentucky I was afraid of people judging me so I kept quiet and tried to fake my way until I could catch up to where I thought others were. But I always felt like I could improve, that I would overcome what my background had provided. I don't know that I considered genetics or a fixed IQ.
Teaching in high school now I find it interesting that our students have been grouped and labeled coming up in elementary school but then we give them more choices when they get here. If they can get the grade we will allow them to move into honors classes. They can enroll in dual credit or College Credit Plus as long as they take a placement test. More students see college as a possibility.
It's funny how our personal experiences come to mind when we are trying to decide what we want to 'buy' that this author is 'selling'. When I moved back to Ohio, for some reason, this school had a much older teacher population. Smart, funny, savvy and experienced, I found them very intimidating. I go used to being made fun of (in a good way) or taking advice on my teaching, speaking and writing. I learned very quickly that they weren't judging me. We were just doing life together. These people became my life long friends. I became much more open to just putting myself out there, making mistakes and admitting upfront when I had no idea what was going on. It has made me a much better person.
I remember being placed in the advanced readers group in the 3rd grade. I know there was a label (color/animal) but, whatever, you knew which group/level you were anyway. Kids would be moved 'up' or 'down'. From then on I knew I was expected to be above average in school so I strived to prove that. I also think have a sister 3 years ahead of me in school and the fact that she hated school and struggled to fit in from day 1 played into my thinking and my parents thinking about what = success in school. My sister is now a very successful special ed teacher who makes a ridiculous difference in the lives of her students struggling through school.
Now, as a mother, I find it interesting that my son's intellect has been measured more by how well he performs on tests. From early on his teachers, administrators, and, admittedly, his parents have openly talked about how well he performs in front of him. And about the expectation of getting the scores that will = $$ for college and/or recognition for his schools. This is a toughy to read and sort out. I want him to live up to or perform according to his potential yet the pressure has increased with the stakes and I'm uncomfortable with that. I've always told him he was born with abilities and talents the rest of us don't have (fixed) and that he should use those gifts wisely and strive to do his best (growth). But haven't I really said that his mindset is fixed then? Huh. Confusing.
I think as an individual I would like to think that not tracking would work and allow everyone to grow and achieve at their own pace and ability level. But as an educator and a parent I don't think I believe that works best for all kids. Being able to tailor my lesson and the pacing of my lesson works best if like students are grouped together. Again I'm loving the book contents and the discussion boards making me think about these things!
This whole idea that IQ is not fixed but able to grow? Mind blowing. I need to find studies that prove or disprove that. Maybe my idea of what the IQ test tests is just wrong. As far as I know I've never taken it nor has my son. My son has been labeled gifted (not bragging, not even humble bragging just trying to raise a question). School and information in general comes easy to him. I've often wondered if taking the IQ test would be beneficial. What if he tested high? Would he aspire to prove worthy of the number? What if he tested average after being told his 17 years how above average he is? I really thought about this last year as he was faced with the ACT test. Again what if he tested average on a test that = $ for college. My husband and I talked about our scores. I had no idea what my ACT score was (it's a number and I'm not 'good' at those) my husband knew exactly how he scored 20 years ago. So we looked them up.... mine was not great, his was average. I was shocked! I really thought I had done better. Maybe I thought that because I had bought in to what I thought that score meant. Changed my expectations for my son. And sadly my view of myself. Really? After 20 years and numerous degrees I still let those scores and labels define me? Yep.
No comments:
Post a Comment