Friday, September 18, 2015

Conversation

Morning conversation with English teacher about today's YA author, censorship and reality...
I'm uncomfortable with the edginess of today's YA fiction but also thrilled that the writing has been elevated. What I worry about are the parents and administrators who are not readers regulating what we should be reading or allowing students to read. It's heartbreaking.

Guy student conversation about not liking YA but adult has stuff in it he shouldn't be reading... So therein lies the rub right? So YA authors have heard this complaint and upped the ante on their writing and then we censor it.

Guy student conversation about Winger and sequel- this is a kid just like me. He talks like me, he does stuff I think is funny. It's relatable. I've never read a book like this. That makes me want to sing but these are the books that make me worry about my job if a non reading administrator or parent picks up one of these and reads one edgy page.

Guy student who said The Lightening Thief was the first book he picked up and chose over video games. He smiled. Ahhh, really the best job in the world.

A girl reading a book I recommended- I hurried up on my English test today so I could read this it is soooo good!!!

I am so excited about going to the Country Living Fair on Saturday.  The first time I went, I came home and told Hubs- these are my people. It is so inspiring and beautiful, full of wonderful ideas and lovely items for sale and just perfect to take in all the sights. The food from a local food truck is healthy and unique and delicious. After going for the last few years I look for my favorite venders. They know how to style a booth. It's inviting and an experience.

I can't even explain how important and indepth our conversations in the library are.
Stephenie's classes are doing a project where they pick a topic and read nonfiction and fiction to support and explore their topic. This has led to amazing conversations from deep thinking students.




No comments: