Monday, January 9, 2017

Senior year

Making an effort to get those OOTD's in and document.


As the parent of a senior I'm learning...
There's a lot I can not do. I can not fill out all the scholarships. I can not study for his 4 AP classes. I can not decide what school is best for him. 

So I found little things I could do to make him and made me feel better. 
I could make lunch items available for everyday, mandarin oranges, bananas, mac and cheese. 
I could serve comfort food, mac and cheese, fresh baked cookies, mashed potatoes for dinner.
I could be at every game and have 2 bottles of water ready for after the game. 
I could keep all the deadlines on my calendar and make sure to give him a heads up and offer up my services. 
When he walks in the door I could sit down and listen and hang out. 
I could assure him that we would find a way to get him to college and help him pay for it.  
I could give him more free reign than ever before and talk through how I hoped he would be careful but have fun. So much fun his senior year. And make good choices. He should be on top of the world. 
I could turn down more of my social offers and stay home.
I could watch mindless tv sitting on the couch next to him for hours. 
I could provide a safe place for him to retreat to and be himself.
I could give him a little leeway on his room, his laundry, the state of his hair and beard. 
I could not overreact every time he says, I can't wait until next year, when I get out of here, move out, go away...
I could let him still be a kid this last year.... 

and there were things that made me feel better
cooking, cleaning, nesting, I drank many cups of tea and coffee and let's be honest wine. 
I'm working on catching up on his scrapbooks, since birth, and dragging out all his childhood memories. Yeah that's been helpful. 

No comments: